Travelling with Purpose, Is volunteering overseas right for you??
Volunteering overseas can give travellers a unique glimpse into the culture, history, lifestyle, and traditions of the countries they are visiting. Provided it’s done well.
After all, it’s natural to wonder about the impact of a volunteer trip - sometimes, finding ways to meaningfully give back can seem like a minefield. How do you know the support you’re giving is making a real difference? How do you know the people you are meeting are really benefiting from your support? These are key questions every would-be volunteer needs to ask, because, when properly designed, volunteering can be an immersive opportunity that helps uncover the true essence of a country, while leaving behind a positive legacy.
This panel based session led by our charity partner Habitat for Humanity explores ways to meaningfully contribute your time to support and benefit local communities in countries you are visiting.
We will explore the difference between volunteering and voluntourism and hear from a panel of 3 seasoned volunteers who have supported Habitat for Humanity.
Audience members will have the opportunity to ask the panel questions and will leave with a greater understanding of what overseas volunteering can involve, and how to ensure its making a difference. If you have always been curious about exploring beyond the boundaries this talk is for you...
All presentations in this stream
- 10:45 Why Uzbekistan?
- 11:45 Wax & Gold: Discovering Ethiopia
- 12:45 How to prepare and what to pack for your first Iceland visit?
- 13:45 Rural India & Green Footprints
- 14:45 Patagonia - Off the Beaten Track
- 15:45 North Korea - Visiting the World's Most Secretive Nation
- 10:45 Eswatini- Africas Newest Country
- 11:45 TRANSCENDENTAL, LIFE CHANGING & LIFE ENRICHING TRAVEL
- 12:45 Travel Trends for 2019
- 13:45 Galapagos: The Enchanted Isles
- 14:45 Travel writing for beginners
- 15:45 Somaliland - The country that isn't.
- 11:45 Wine and Winemaking in Georgia
- 12:45 Meet Your South Africa: how best to immerse yourself in local culture when travelling.
- 13:45 Walking with migrants – a trek in Morocco with a difference
- 14:45 River Cruise Masterclass.
- 15:45 The World's Most Luxurious Rail Journeys
- 10:45 Focus on my favourite Portuguese islands – Flores in the Azores and Fogo in Cape Verde.
- 11:45 Land of the Lemurs – Fall in Love with Madagascar
- 12:45 Wildlife Exposed - From the plains to the poles
- 13:45 Brilliant Baja!
- 14:45 Thematic Expert Lead Tours for Superlative Travel Experiences
- 15:45 South Africa- Garden Route explained and explored