Walking with migrants – a trek in Morocco with a difference
This autumn, Morocco trekking expert Alan Palmer undertook a trek with a difference, accompanying an Aït ‘Atta family, plus their camels, sheep, goats, mules, ponies, dogs and chickens, for 10 days on their annual transhumance migration.
This trail led him from the family’s summer pastures in Morocco's Central High Atlas Mountains to the fringes of their homeland in Jebel Sahro, the Land of Drought, deep in the south of the country, in preparation for winter.
For the first eight days they trekked together along a route only ever used by transhumance families, without phone signal and without internet, and not seeing a single other permanent settlement.
In this talk he will explain to us the insight that he gained into this little understood, traditional lifestyle and the modern pressures it increasingly faces.
All presentations in this stream
- 10:45 Why Uzbekistan?
- 11:45 Wax & Gold: Discovering Ethiopia
- 12:45 How to prepare and what to pack for your first Iceland visit?
- 13:45 Rural India & Green Footprints
- 14:45 Patagonia - Off the Beaten Track
- 15:45 North Korea - Visiting the World's Most Secretive Nation
- 10:45 Eswatini- Africas Newest Country
- 11:45 TRANSCENDENTAL, LIFE CHANGING & LIFE ENRICHING TRAVEL
- 12:45 Travel Trends for 2019
- 13:45 Galapagos: The Enchanted Isles
- 14:45 Travel writing for beginners
- 15:45 Somaliland - The country that isn't.
- 10:45 Travelling with Purpose, Is volunteering overseas right for you??
- 11:45 Wine and Winemaking in Georgia
- 12:45 Meet Your South Africa: how best to immerse yourself in local culture when travelling.
- 14:45 River Cruise Masterclass.
- 15:45 The World's Most Luxurious Rail Journeys
- 10:45 Focus on my favourite Portuguese islands – Flores in the Azores and Fogo in Cape Verde.
- 11:45 Land of the Lemurs – Fall in Love with Madagascar
- 12:45 Wildlife Exposed - From the plains to the poles
- 13:45 Brilliant Baja!
- 14:45 Thematic Expert Lead Tours for Superlative Travel Experiences
- 15:45 South Africa- Garden Route explained and explored