Wine and Winemaking in Georgia
As wine-drinkers search for ever more varied and interesting wines, it is understandable that their attention has turned to Georgia. A relative newcomer on the European stage, Georgian wine nevertheless has a lineage that stretches back further than any other: for it is here that wine-making began.
In Georgia they have traditionally used clay amphorae (known as "qvevri") to age their wine and this millennia-old technique has now been listed in the UNESCO Intangible Cultural Heritage Lists. Purists argue that this method of wine-making allows the true grape-flavours to predominate and spares the wine from being smothered by oak and tannins.
But the vine itself and drinking also have interesting traditions in Georgia. Saint Nino, their patron saint, bore a cross made from vine wood, thus linking wine with Christianity. And for centuries, Georgians drank, and in some areas still drink, their wine from animal horns.
All presentations in this stream
- 10:45 Why Uzbekistan?
- 11:45 Wax & Gold: Discovering Ethiopia
- 12:45 How to prepare and what to pack for your first Iceland visit?
- 13:45 Rural India & Green Footprints
- 14:45 Patagonia - Off the Beaten Track
- 15:45 North Korea - Visiting the World's Most Secretive Nation
- 10:45 Eswatini- Africas Newest Country
- 11:45 TRANSCENDENTAL, LIFE CHANGING & LIFE ENRICHING TRAVEL
- 12:45 Travel Trends for 2019
- 13:45 Galapagos: The Enchanted Isles
- 14:45 Travel writing for beginners
- 15:45 Somaliland - The country that isn't.
- 10:45 Travelling with Purpose, Is volunteering overseas right for you??
- 12:45 Meet Your South Africa: how best to immerse yourself in local culture when travelling.
- 13:45 Walking with migrants – a trek in Morocco with a difference
- 14:45 River Cruise Masterclass.
- 15:45 The World's Most Luxurious Rail Journeys
- 10:45 Focus on my favourite Portuguese islands – Flores in the Azores and Fogo in Cape Verde.
- 11:45 Land of the Lemurs – Fall in Love with Madagascar
- 12:45 Wildlife Exposed - From the plains to the poles
- 13:45 Brilliant Baja!
- 14:45 Thematic Expert Lead Tours for Superlative Travel Experiences
- 15:45 South Africa- Garden Route explained and explored