Travel Photography Masterclasses
You don't have to be an aspiring professional photographer to be able to learn a great deal from the approach of a professional photographer to travelling and taking pictures. As a keen photographer you can learn a lot from their approach, skills and equipment choices, which will help to make your next holiday a photographic success, or if you are hoping to make a career out of photography, then this masterclass will help you to avoid many years of learning the hard way!
Led by a professional travel photographer with 30 years, Steve Davey, these two-hour masterclasses will help sharpen your skills, iron out bad habits and give you a better understanding of your camera’s functions to enhance your travel photography.
These masterclasses will have a more anecdotal and conversational style, offering you a wide range of tips to help you plan and carry out a photographic mission to a wide range of destinations.
You'll even have the opportunity to submit your own photos to the course leader and receive personal feedback as part of each session. Class sizes are limited and do sell out so please book early to avoid disappointment.
All classes led by Steve Davey are in partnership with Intrepid Travel where attendees to each of his classes will receive a £50* Intrepid discount voucher.
Travel Photography Masterclass Tickets
Are priced at £25 per Masterclass and also include:
- 1 x complimentary show admission ticket
- 1 x £50 Intrepid Travel discount voucher.
Travel Photography Masterclass Host - Steve Davey
Steve Davey is a photographer and writer whose work has been published in magazines and newspapers all over the world. He is the author and principal photographer of the internationally best-selling Unforgettable Places to See Before You Die which has sold over 300,000 copies and has some 30 co-editions around the world. Followed by Unforgettable Islands to Escape to Before You Die which involved Steve catching 99 flights in a year and flying the equivalent of over seven times around the world - both published by BBC Books. Steve has recently authored Around the World in 500 Festivals and a second edition of Footprint Travel Photography, the leading guide to travelling with your camera. You can find Steve's current work here, often updated from remote locations on the road. You can also find archived galleries of Steve's recent work here.
In partnership with Intrepid Travels.
INTRODUCTION TO PHOTOGRAPHY
The course is meant for those with any camera, whether a smartphone, compact camera, a mirrorless camera or an entry level DSLR used on automatic. It will teach you how to improve your pictures without getting overly technical, but will touch on some of the technical basics. It will encompass improving exposures and colour balance, using picture scene modes, camera use and simple composition.
Things that we will cover include:
• How to seek out pictures and travel like a photographer
• Technical basics and how to achieve them with your camera
• Simple post-processing to improve your pictures.
|Sat 18 Jan 2020||1:00 - 3:00pm|
|Sun 19 Jan 2020||10:00am - 12:00pm|
ADVANCED DSLR Mirrorless SKILLS
Modern DSLR and Mirrorless cameras are excessively complicated. If you read the camera manual it will tell you every single function on the camera; it won't tell you which functions you actually need to use. The result is that many photographers get bogged down with technology, and creativity suffers.
Steve's skill and experience at explaining even the most complicated aspects of photography will help you to regain control of your camera so that it doesn't get in the way of your picture taking. It will cover all of the technical aspects of photography, but in such a way that you will be soon have your camera working for you, and not against you.
This workshop will teach you many of the advanced skills employed by professional photographers, and will include shooting in the RAW format, advanced focussing, improving exposures and managing white balance.
On this comprehensive workshop, you will learn:
• The benefits of shooting RAW and white balance
• Achieving sharper pictures and perfect focus
• How to read a histogram and get perfect exposures.
|Sat 18 Jan 2020||10:00am - 12:00pm|
NB. If you have just participated in the Introduction to Photography masterclass, you will get more out of this session if you give yourself time to practice the skills you have learned before taking the Advanced DSLR & Mirrorless Skills masterclass.
TELLING A STORY WITH COMPOSITION
As well as being an art form, photography is a means of communication. Being able to see pictures and capture your vision with your camera is one of the greatest skills you can develop as a photographer. Largely independent of your equipment, this workshop will look at how to previsualise your pictures and then proceed to tell a story in a single picture. We will look at the compositional techniques and tools that you can use to make your pictures more effective at communication and visually complex.
We offer ways for you to see and create pictures in the first place, and then how to exploit the characteristics of your camera to capture them in a visually interesting way. We will also cover the rules of composition and how you can make your pictures more visually balanced.
On this workshop you will get a number of real world hints and tips from a working professional photographer, and you will learn:
• How to see pictures and work out what you want to photograph
• Creating pictures by exploiting viewpoint, angle and lens choice
• How to take more visually balanced pictures by following rules of composition.
|Sat 18 Jan 2020||3:30 - 5:30pm|
SHOOTING TRAVEL PORTRAITS
One of the best things about travel for many people to see the lives of the people you meet on the road, yet many photographers get intimidated about approaching strangers, and just end up stealing a shot from afar. They rush a shot without any thought or creativity then hurry away before they get confronted. This means that they have a bad experience of the whole process, and crucially so does the person being photographed. It also means that they come away with disappointing pictures: with little or no feeling or empathy.
This exciting photography workshop will outline the technical and creative decisions you will need to make when shooting a portrait. By making these decisions in advance - before you approach someone to ask permission – you can be more relaxed and creative. We will also look at the best ways to approach people and how to go about the mechanics of shooting different styles of portrait. Crucially Steve will share his own technique for achieving engaging eye contact.
We will also take an extensive look at candid/street photography, and how to take pictures without permission, but crucially without causing offence.
Illustrated with many of Steve's pictures from around the world, this Masterclass will include:
• How to see pictures and previsualise your portrait style
• Approaching people and achieving eye contact
• Techniques for non-invasive street photography.
|Sat 18 Jan 2020||3:30 - 5:30pm|
Photograph like a Pro
Things we will cover include:
• Planning and researching a trip
• Gear issues and how to pack and get your gear on a plane
• Keeping safe, and how to act and behave whilst on the road
|Sun 19 Jan 2020||1:00 - 3:00pm|
Intrepid are an unique tour operator, who bring another dimension to travelling - the feeling of familiarity with the unfamiliar. .
Intrepid know that travelling to a new country can be quite frightening experience, let alone, to a new town. But not for them. With over 30 years of experience, they know what travellers really want: a balance of inclusiuons and free time, a mix of classic highlights and local secrets you won't find on Google. And of course, an authentic real life experience given and shared with you by their own and raised-in laeaders.
They will take you on your chosen adventure theme, whatever you like to experience - be it solely polar, hiking, sailing or even food. Intrepid will surely not be meek about it.
All photography masterclasses led by Steve Davey are in partnership with Intrepid Travels. All attendees will receive a £50* discount voucher with Intrepid.
*Terms and conditions
- Save £50 on Intrepid Travel small group adventures trips booked between 1 January 2020 and 15 December 2021, not combinable with any other offer including loyalty. Only one voucher can be used per booking.
- Discount applies only to those who have booked onto one of Steve Davey’s Photography workshops at Destinations Holiday & Travel Show 2020 in either London or Manchester. Only one voucher can be claimed per person per workshop.
- Discount applies to any Intrepid Travel small group adventure departing between 1 January 2020 and 31 March 2022 (excl. 15 December 2020/21 – 14 January 2021/22) with the below exclusions: Polar Journeys, Expeditions, Short Break Adventures, Bite-Size Breaks, Urban Adventures, Private Groups and third-party supplier trips.
- Discount only applies to the land portion of the trip and cannot be applied to flights, insurance, or any additional services.
- Standard deposit is required at the time of booking. Balance is payable within 56 days of departure except for Intrepid Travel Adventure Cruising departures which are payable within 90 days of departure.
- There will be no extensions to the travel, booking or payment periods listed above. Prices, itineraries and inclusions are subject to change without notice. Standard booking conditions apply as per Intrepid Travel website, www.intrepidtravel.com.
- The trip is subject to availability and confirmation by Intrepid Travel at time of booking.
- This sale is valid for residents of the United Kingdom only.