Travel Photography Masterclasses
Led by a professional travel photographers, Steve Davey and Paul Goldstein, these two-hour masterclasses will help sharpen your skills, iron out bad habits and give you a better understanding of your camera’s functions to enhance your travel photography.
These masterclasses will have a more anecdotal and conversational style, offering you a wide range of tips to help you plan and carry out a photographic mission to a wide range of destinations.
You'll even have the opportunity to submit your own photos to the course leader and receive personal feedback as part of each session. Class sizes are limited and do sell out so please book early to avoid disappointment.
This year, Destinations are proud to be working with Exodus Travel Foundation where a third of the price of the Wildlife Masterclass, led by Paul Goldstein, will be donated to the foundation. Attendees to these class will also receive a £100 Exodus discount voucher.
All classes led by Steve Davey and Jamie Marshall are in partnership with Intrepid Travel. Attendees to each of their classes will receive a £50* Intrepid discount voucher.
Travel Photography Masterclass Tickets
Tickets priced at £30 per Masterclass and also include:
- 1 x complimentary show admission ticket
- 1 x £50 Intrepid Travel / 1 x £100 Exodus discount voucher.
Travel Photography Masterclass Host
Steve Davey is a photographer and writer whose work has been published in magazines and newspapers all over the world. He is the author and principal photographer of the internationally best-selling Unforgettable Places to See Before You Die which has sold over 300,000 copies and has some 30 co-editions around the world. Followed by Unforgettable Islands to Escape to Before You Die which involved Steve catching 99 flights in a year and flying the equivalent of over seven times around the world - both published by BBC Books. Steve has recently authored Around the World in 500 Festivals and a second edition of Footprint Travel Photography, the leading guide to travelling with your camera. You can find Steve's current work here, often updated from remote locations on the road. You can also find archived galleries of Steve's recent work here.
In partnership with Intrepid Travels.
Wildlife Photography Masterclass Host
Paul Goldstein is an award-winning wildlife photographer and guide and has worked for Exodus for 16 years, with over 20 years in the industry. He lectures throughout the year about wildlife, photography and conservation. His real expertise however lies in wildlife photography, Africa and the Polar regions. Paul is one of very few people that has spent time with all five of the BBC's ‘Dynasty’ luminaries. Several chimp safaris, literally years with lions, two fabled expeditions to Emperor penguins and wild painted dogs throughout Africa.
If you want to become a better and more ambitious wildlife photographer don't miss Paul's talk - Wildlife Photography: Capture The Moment on Friday 31 January from 1pm - 3pm.
In partnership with Exodus Travels Foundation.
INTRODUCTION TO PHOTOGRAPHY
With Steve Davey
Camera manufacturers sell you on the myth that all you need to do to take great pictures is to buy a good camera, yet many people are disappointed by the results that they come back with! This workshop will take you through the basic of photography and camera skills. We will show you how to travel as a photographer, and when is the best time to take pictures. We will simply outline some of the reasons why your pictures go wrong, and how you can look at how you can get the most out of your camera, and the modes that it offers.
The course is meant for those with any camera, whether a smartphone, compact camera, a mirrorless camera or an entry level DSLR used on automatic. It will teach you how to improve your pictures without getting overly technical, but will touch on some of the technical basics. It will encompass improving exposures and colour balance, using picture scene modes, camera use and simple composition.
Things that we will cover include:
• How to seek out pictures and travel like a photographer
• Technical basics and how to achieve them with your camera
• Simple post-processing to improve your pictures.
|Thu 30 Jan 2020||10:15am - 12:15pm|
|Sat 01 Feb 2020||3:30 - 5:30pm|
ADVANCED DSLR & MIRRORLESS CAMERA SKILLS
With Steve Davey
Modern DSLR and Mirrorless cameras are excessively complicated. If you read the camera manual it will tell you every single function on the camera; it won't tell you which functions you actually need to use. The result is that many photographers get bogged down with technology, and creativity suffers.
Steve's skill and experience at explaining even the most complicated aspects of photography will help you to regain control of your camera so that it doesn't get in the way of your picture taking. It will cover all of the technical aspects of photography, but in such a way that you will be soon have your camera working for you, and not against you.
This workshop will teach you many of the advanced skills employed by professional photographers, and will include shooting in the RAW format, advanced focussing, improving exposures and managing white balance.
On this comprehensive workshop, you will learn:
• The benefits of shooting RAW and white balance
• Achieving sharper pictures and perfect focus
• How to read a histogram and get perfect exposures.
|Sat 01 Feb 2020||10:15am - 12:15pm|
|Sun 02 Feb 2020||1:00 - 3:00pm|
In partnership with Intrepid Travel
Photo courtesy of Steve Davey
TELLING A STORY WITH COMPOSITION
With Steve Davey
As well as being an art form, photography is a means of communication. Being able to see pictures and capture your vision with your camera is one of the greatest skills you can develop as a photographer. Largely independent of your equipment, this workshop will look at how to previsualise your pictures and then proceed to tell a story in a single picture. We will look at the compositional techniques and tools that you can use to make your pictures more effective at communication and visually complex.
We offer ways for you to see and create pictures in the first place, and then how to exploit the characteristics of your camera to capture them in a visually interesting way. We will also cover the rules of composition and how you can make your pictures more visually balanced.
On this workshop you will get a number of real world hints and tips from a working professional photographer, and you will learn:
• How to see pictures and work out what you want to photograph
• Creating pictures by exploiting viewpoint, angle and lens choice
• How to take more visually balanced pictures by following rules of composition.
|Thu 30 Jan 2020||1:00 - 3:00pm|
|Sun 02 Feb 2020||3:30 - 5:30pm|
SHOOTING TRAVEL PORTRAITS
With Steve Davey
One of the best things about travel for many people to see the lives of the people you meet on the road, yet many photographers get intimidated about approaching strangers, and just end up stealing a shot from afar. They rush a shot without any thought or creativity then hurry away before they get confronted. This means that they have a bad experience of the whole process, and crucially so does the person being photographed. It also means that they come away with disappointing pictures: with little or no feeling or empathy.
This exciting photography workshop will outline the technical and creative decisions you will need to make when shooting a portrait. By making these decisions in advance - before you approach someone to ask permission – you can be more relaxed and creative. We will also look at the best ways to approach people and how to go about the mechanics of shooting different styles of portrait. Crucially Steve will share his own technique for achieving engaging eye contact.
We will also take an extensive look at candid/street photography, and how to take pictures without permission, but crucially without causing offence.
Illustrated with many of Steve's pictures from around the world, this Masterclass will include:
• How to see pictures and previsualise your portrait style
• Approaching people and achieving eye contact
• Techniques for non-invasive street photography.
|Sat 01 Feb 2020||1:00 - 3:00pm|
Photograph like a Pro
You don't have to be an aspiring professional photographer to be able to learn a great deal from the approach of a professional photographer to travelling and taking pictures. As a keen photographer you can learn a lot from their approach, skills and equipment choices, which will help to make your next holiday a photographic success: if you are hoping to make a career out of photography, then this masterclass will help you to avoid many years of learning the hard way!
Things we will cover include:
• Planning and researching a trip
• Gear issues and how to pack and get your gear on a plane
• Keeping safe, and how to act and behave whilst on the road.
|Thu 30 Jan 2020||3:30 - 5:30pm|
Photo courtesy of Steve Davey
Capturing a Sense of Place
Many travellers like to document their trips and the places they visit on social media – whether to keep in touch with friends, or to try to achieve a significant following in order to try to turn their travels into a career.
The most effective pictures for social media will convey a sense of place and will involve the photographer engaging with their destination as much as they try to engage with their social media following! This will involve travelling in a more engaging way, but also shooting your pictures with a particular idea in mind. We will look at ways that you can shoot more engaging pictures, taking in a number of different disciplines, including food, wildlife and people.
This masterclass will draw on some of the points from our other workshops, but in a non-technical way that will give you many ways to improve your pictures - whether you are shooting with a smartphone all the way up to expensive professional equipment. We will look at how to travel better as a photographer, what and how to photograph, composition and simple ways to improve the quality of your pictures.
We will also have a quick look at how to best upload your images to the internet and to make sure that they are found and engaged with by the wider world.
Things that we will cover include:
• How to establish out your own sense of place
• Creative skills to capture a sense of place
• Uploading images to social media
|Fri 31 Jan 2020||3:30 - 5:30pm|
|Sun 02 Feb 2020||10:15am - 12:15pm|
MAKING TRAVEL PHOTOGRAPHY PAY
With Jamie Marshall
If you ever wanted to try to make some money with your travels, but had heard that the stock photography market was dead, then you need to come along to this workshop. Jamie Marshall is a part time travel photographer who balances a full time job with regular overseas trips where he shoots stock photography for a number of libraries, and still manages to make a good income in today's difficult times.
Jamie will help you with all aspects of the business, including what pictures to take, model releases and successful keywording of your pictures.
|Fri 31 Jan 2020||10:15am - 12:15pm|
Wildlife Photography: Capture the Moment
With Paul Goldstein
Award winning wildlife photographer Paul Goldstein takes budding wildlife rookies and veterans through a rigorous class to enable them to catch the moment and get close to the wildlife grail.
Paul is described by the Sunday Times as being 'preposterously vivacious' and being of ‘psychotic gusto’, they also say his advice is ‘rarely sugar-coated’, so come along to this session if you are brave enough. Paul is not interested in exhaustive processing of images, safe, chocolate box portraits or indeed the geek-like approach by many regimented ludicrously camouflage-clad nerds. What he does is deliver, and his burgeoning army of followers over many years is testament to this.
If you want to become a better and more ambitious wildlife photographer, don’t miss this opportunity.
|Fri 31 Jan 2020||1:00 - 3:00pm|
Intrepid are an unique tour operator, who bring another dimension to travelling - the feeling of familiarity with the unfamiliar. .
Intrepid know that travelling to a new country can be quite frightening experience, let alone, to a new town. But not for them. With over 30 years of experience, they know what travellers really want: a balance of inclusions and free time, a mix of classic highlights and local secrets you won't find on Google. And of course, an authentic real life experience given and shared with you by their own and raised-in leaders.
They will take you on your chosen adventure theme, whatever you like to experience - be it solely polar, hiking, sailing or even food. Intrepid will surely not be meek about it.
You will receive a £100* Intrepid discount voucher with each photography masterclass led by Steve Davey and Jamie Marshall.
Visit them on stand No.AP12
The Exodus Travels foundation was created to harness the power of travel to create meaningful, sustainable change. Its goal is to ensure local communities benefit from the tourism in their regions, and to educate and inspire travellers to take responsibility for their impact when they travel.
The foundation supports initiatives all around the world, from sending children on inspirational days out, to supporting specific projects such as building new schools in Northern India to rainwater harvesting project in Kenya.
In support of the foundation, one third of the proceeds to the Wildlife Masterclass, led by Paul Goldstein, will be donated to Exodus Travels Foundation - ensuring that local communities benefit from tourism in their regions.
Those who attend this masterclass will get £100 off with Exodus (new bookers) and a water bottle and repeat customers will receive a free water bottle. In addition, for everyone that uses the code 'FOUNDATION20 (NEW) or DESTFOUNDATION20 (existing), Exodus will donate £100pp to the Exodus Travels Foundation. This offer is only valid to those people that attend these events.
Visit them on stand No. AP70
- Save £50 on Intrepid Travel small group adventures trips booked between 1 January 2020 and 15 December 2021, not combinable with any other offer including loyalty. Only one voucher can be used per booking.
- Discount applies only to those who have booked onto one of Steve Davey’s Photography workshops at Destinations Holiday & Travel Show 2020 in either London or Manchester. Only one voucher can be claimed per person per workshop.
- Discount applies to any Intrepid Travel small group adventure departing between 1 January 2020 and 31 March 2022 (excl. 15 December 2020/21 – 14 January 2021/22) with the below exclusions: Polar Journeys, Expeditions, Short Break Adventures, Bite-Size Breaks, Urban Adventures, Private Groups and third-party supplier trips.
- Discount only applies to the land portion of the trip and cannot be applied to flights, insurance, or any additional services.
- Standard deposit is required at the time of booking. Balance is payable within 56 days of departure except for Intrepid Travel Adventure Cruising departures which are payable within 90 days of departure.
- There will be no extensions to the travel, booking or payment periods listed above. Prices, itineraries and inclusions are subject to change without notice. Standard booking conditions apply as per Intrepid Travel website, www.intrepidtravel.com.
- The trip is subject to availability and confirmation by Intrepid Travel at time of booking.
- This sale is valid for residents of the United Kingdom only.
3. Valid on trips departing between 16/1/2020 and 31/12/2020 only.
4. Offer is £100 discount per person, and a free Exodus water bottle (which will be sent to bookers by mid-April 2020.)
5. Offer is valid on any Exodus trip excluding all non-small group holidays including self-guided, independent or tailor made adventures.
6. Minimum spend of £1000 per person required on an Exodus flight inclusive or land only package to receive discount.
7. Valid on new bookings only, cannot be applied to existing bookings, cannot be used to rebook the same trip and may only be used once per booking.
8. The discount will be applied to your final balance, not your deposit amount.
9. The £100 offer is not combinable with any other offers (not combinable with loyalty discounts). Loyal customers will still receive a free Exodus water bottle alongside their normal loyalty discount. The £100 will still be donated from Exodus to the Exodus Travels Foundation. 10. The discount only applies to the trip price, not to any additional items such as single supplements or extra accommodation.
11. Exodus Travels standard Booking Terms and Conditions apply.
12. If booking a Flight Inclusive trip, flight supplements may still apply.
13. This offer is subject to availability and Exodus Travels reserves the right to change this offer at any time.
14. This offer is not transferrable, there is no cash alternative and no correspondence will be entered into.
15. This offer is not available to Exodus Staff or to their immediate families.